Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Artist #3 Death Cab for Cutie

Death Cab for Cutie is an alternative rock band, and a fairly good one. The band has put out seven albums to date, even though they’re not all horrible, they aren’t all great either. However, one album stands out, this album is called Plans. Death Cab for Cutie is one of those bands that puts out a really amazing album, and then after that burns out. While there are still songs on their newer, and older albums that seem like they could have been on Plans. It’s usually only one or two songs out of probably fourteen. The first time I heard Death Cab for Cutie was once again because of my dad. He bought the album, and whenever I was in the car with him, I would hear it. It took me until around a year ago to realize that the same songs had stuck in my head for a few years. It was amazing to listen to their music again, and hear something that I had once loved, and once again did. After that, I can go in and out of fazes of listening to their music a lot, then not listening to it, but then I do again and I remember why I love it so much.
The things I love about Death Cab for Cutie are that the lyrics are so good, and his voice sounds so good with the instruments. I love that basically all it takes to play one of their songs is a guitar, and yet it comes out sounding great. All of my favorite songs by them come off of their 2005 album, Plans. The songs I chose are Crooked Teeth, Someday You Will Be Loved, Soul Meets Body, and I Will Follow You into the Dark. Someday You Will Be Loved, which is played with the same melody as House of the Rising Sun by The Animals. I like this song because it seems so dark, and is very catchy. It almost seems like it could be in an old horror movie. I think that Soul Meets Body is such a happy and once again catchy song. When I listen to it, it makes me feel good. I like I Will Follow you into the Dark, not because it is my dream to have it sung to me, but because it is an extremely powerful song. It makes me feel good, and is a very romantic song that isn’t just telling a girl how pretty she is. Instead, it takes more of an approach about him wanting to be with her. One of the special things about this song is that when I listen to it I understand exactly what is going on, at every part of the song. When I know what is going on it is much easier to appreciate the genius behind the song. Lastly, and most likely my favorite song by them is Crooked Teeth. This song is remarkable for so many reasons, it was very well written, and put together greatly. One of the lines that I feel like I can relate to in the song is, “I’d build you a hole in my heart, made of rotting wood, made to cave from the start.” I think this line means that he would basically let a girl into his heart, yet he would know that at any moment it would all collapse. I think this line is relatable because I get what he means with this line. Because I know sometimes that I do things, and let certain things into my life. Even though I know it will wind up backfiring, and hurting me. This is one of the many reasons this song is so incredible to me. The song is catchy, and I can’t help instantly loving it every time I hear it. Hopefully, if you wind up listening to this band, you will listen to some of the songs posted below. I expect you will feel the same as me, but if you don’t it is okay and I anticipate that you will like some of the music posted over the next few days.
Crooked Teeth
Soul Meets Body
I Will Follow you into the Dark

No comments:

Post a Comment