Saturday, January 21, 2012

Blog # 10: Drugs, Alcohol, and Music

If you aren’t a complete idiot, then you know that the majority of musical artists around have at one point, or another done drugs. If you listen to “popular” music these days, then you have to realize that more than fifty percent of it is about sex or drugs. I read a brief article about a book called Everybody Must Get Stoned: Rock Stars on Drugs, this article sums up a few of the points that the book makes. Most of it being, nearly all artists have or still do drugs, I always knew this before, but to read a couple of articles about it was kind of interesting. In this article it quotes the book saying that, “Lots of good music has been made by people on heroin.” I know that the music that I listen to was probably made while some musician was high, and I embrace that because I realize that the music most likely wouldn’t have been as good if they were sober. I have no problem with people doing drugs, but when it comes to musicians doing drugs, I just expect it.

 In today’s culture, the rappers that are famous are all high, and their songs are all about how they love to smoke weed. I hope you don’t think that I like that, because if you did you would be wrong. Musicians who do drugs so that they can be more creative with the music that they make, and see a whole new side to things is better than musicians who just worship drugs. Most articles suggest that musicians don’t just do drugs to make better music, but also to relieve stress. Kurt Cobain was a very famous grunge artist who was from the band Nirvana. When they became famous he realized he didn’t quite like it. He thought his music was misinterpreted, and that caused him stress. Cobain went to drugs to relieve his difficulties, but because he was stressed out by his fame, he commit suicide. This relates to one of the quotes from the same book which was, “Conversely, lots of good musicians have stopped making music (as well as breathing) because they took heroin." I feel bad for musicians like this, but at the same time I know it’s their fault. One of my favorite rap groups is Atmosphere, I like them because they don’t rap about what a typical hip-hop artist does. One of my favorite songs by them is F*ck You Lucy, Lucy is a theoretical person who represents alcohol. This song is a great song that has a good message, basically don’t let alcohol infect your life like the singer did, this could be said as well for drugs.

In musical culture drugs and alcohol are nearly impossible to get away from. The reason so much music is about them is because so many musicians use drugs and alcohol. I can’t say that I’m disappointed in the musicians who let these things destroy their lives, because they made their impacts on the world, and that can’t be taken away from them. I won’t say that drugs and alcohol are wrong, because who am I to say that? It’s your own choice, and your own life. I personally love many artists who have done these things, and when some of their songs are about drugs. I hope that you wouldn't judge a musician by their public problems, before listening to their work. Below is the link to the short article I read, and a couple of songs influenced by drugs/alcohol. I am going to end this post with a quote from the book Everybody Must Get Stoned: Rock Stars on Drugs that made me laugh, “It's not my intention to encourage or discourage consenting adults to use mind-altering drugs.... Have fun with this book, but not too much fun, unless you want to end up like that doper Paul McCartney—a healthy, vital, talented billionaire who was knighted by the Queen of England.”
http://reason.com/archives/2009/05/13/everybody-must-get-stoned-rock
F*ck You Lucy-Atmosphere
Cocaine-Eric Clapton
Marijuana-Kid Cudi

1 comment: