Thursday, January 19, 2012

Blog #9: Kanye West

One of my favorite rap artists nowadays is Kanye West. There is something about him that makes me love him and his music so much. The fact that he isn’t like every other rap artist these days makes him good. In Kanye’s career as an artist he has put out five solo albums, The College Dropout, Late Registration, Graduation, 808’s and Heartbreak, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and lastly, his collaborative album with Jay-Z, Watch the Throne. I think that each one of these albums is good. I think the fact that Kanye West was a producer before he started to make his own music helped him a lot. I can’t honestly say that I remember when I first heard Kanye, or how I was introduced to his music. When I first heard it I probably didn’t like it, but years after I’ve realized that he is a truly good artist, and deserves a lot of recognition.
My favorite thing about Kanye’s music is that it doesn’t sound like everybody else’s, when he samples songs he doesn’t just do one type of music for it. In fact he has sampled more than ten different genres of music. Earlier I said that I think his experience as a music producer helped him to make good music later on in his life. I think this because it gave him more grounds to be creative, and learn how to make good, catchy songs. There are several songs that I love by Kanye, so I will try to narrow it down. Some of my favorites by him include Touch the Sky, Can’t Tell Me Nothing, Power, Good Morning, and Jesus Walks. All of these songs appeal to me in their own little way, and are all just very catchy. I like Touch the Sky because of the message it sends, it’s just simple, you can basically do whatever you want. All you have to do is put your mind to it, and you can make your dreams come true. I like the song Power because it just gets me kind of excited, a lot of his songs have this effect on me. They just get me pumped up, and I like it. I like this song just because it sounds so good when I listen to it; it just flows together so nicely. Off of his collaborative album Watch the Throne, my favorite songs are No Church in the Wild, Otis, and That’s My Bitch. No Church in the Wild is one of the songs that get me going, it pumps me up, and it gets me started. I think that it’s just a great song that is catchy, and speaks well. I like Otis because it’s just a good rap song, it seems more like a 90s’ sort of rap song. I think this just because of the fashion that it is in, where it’s two guys just kind of passing off between verses. My favorite line in this song is in one of Kanye’s parts where he says, “Luxury rap, the Hermes of verses. Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive.” This line just sounds so cool to me, and is probably his best line on the entire album. It’s tough for me to describe why I like rap songs, it just has to do with whether it’s catchy, has a good message, fun, or just amazing. I hope I did a good job in convincing you to listen to his music. If you listen to his music you’ll realize he is a little ignorant, and self-obsessed, but rightfully so. I think that all of that adds to his music and makes it better, the fact that he can rap about it makes it cool. I hope you will enjoy Kanye West’s music just as much as I do.
Good Morning
Otis
No Church in the Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment