Sunday, January 22, 2012

Blog #11: Albert Hammond Jr.

Albert Hammond Jr. is an American rock musician. He is the rhythm and sometimes lead guitarist in my favorite band, The Strokes. Along with the lead singer Julian Casablancas, Albert has written some of The Strokes songs. In 2006, Albert Hammond Jr. put out his first album Yours to Keep, and then his second album in 2008, Como Te Llama? Out of these two albums I like Yours to Keep more, the reason being it just has more songs on it that I like it. The only bad thing about writing this blog is that I haven’t been listening to his solo stuff for very long and I haven’t really listened to all of it. The reason I know about his solo work is because my brother had me listen to it. My brother and I both love The Strokes, so that’s how we know about Albert Hammond Jr. It wasn’t any more than two months ago when I first started listening to his music. The first song I heard by him was In Transit, and that is still my most favorite song by him.

My favorite thing about his music is that it sounds so good to me. Basically all of his work is original, and it just has so much going on. I love the way the instruments he uses sound. He uses a synthesizer in a lot of his songs, and I love the way it sounds for some reason. It sounds kind of like a harmonica, but not really. My favorite songs by him are In Transit, 101, Hard to Live in the City, and Everyone Gets a Star. My favorite thing about 101 is the guitar riffs in it, they sound so catchy. My favorite one is the one that opens the song, and the one that is in the chorus. Everyone Gets a Star appeals to me because it’s just a good song. It’s slow and simple, yet it is still amazing. The chorus in the song just sounds so good to me. The instruments all get put together and sound amazing, and then when he comes in with the synthesizer it gets better. My favorite line in this song is, “Today, you came, now go, away.” My favorite song though, is In Transit. This song has such a positive message, and was put together so well. In the song’s first verse it says, “Free, from the world. I’m not gonna change, ‘til I want to.” I like this line because it’s just relatable, the feeling of not caring what people think, and not wanting to change unless you’re doing it for yourself. The want to be free from the judgment of the world is so normal too. The main thing about his music though isn’t as much the lyrics as it is the instruments in the background. It isn’t just the same four chords going the whole time, or your typical instruments. He incorporates things that aren’t heard as much, and he makes it sound good. His music makes me appreciate every little thing that goes on in the background of songs. I love these songs, and I hope you like it just as much as I do.
In Transit
101

No comments:

Post a Comment