Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Blog #13: Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is an American Folk Rock singer and songwriter. He’s one of my favorite artists because he has influenced generations of music after him. I also wasn’t aware for a long time just how talented he was, but I now know he is extremely gifted. Bob Dylan isn’t just one of the best Folk Rockers of all time, but he is also a painter, and a very good one. The amount of awards that Dylan has won is astonishing, and the different kinds are also surprising. He has won an Academy Award, and a Golden Globe for best original song. He has had six songs inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame, and has won eleven of the twelve Grammy awards he was nominated for. Bob has won Album of the Year three different times, Best Contemporary Folk Album twice, and lifetime achievement award. In 1988 Bob Dylan was inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and had five of his songs be honored in 500 songs that shaped Rock and Roll. Clearly just from knowing that you would have to say that he must be very impressive. However, I didn’t know any of these things when I first heard him, but that didn’t matter because I still loved his music. Bob Dylan has released several albums. The first time that I heard his music, or at least the first time I remember hearing it was when I saw the movie Watchmen. The movie starts off with a fight, and then it goes into a sort of credit thing where it shows what has happened over the years.  While this is going on the song The Times They Are a Changin is playing in the background to show how much things have changed. This was the first song I heard by him, and it’s amongst my favorites.
My favorite thing about Bob Dylan is that his music uses instruments that are so simple, and his music still sounds so different and unique. Other than his music I don’t really listen to music that has harmonicas in them. I sometimes find them to be a little annoying, but something about them in his music sounds so good. My favorite songs by him are The Times They Are a Changin, Knockin on Heaven's Door, and All Along the Watchtower. Knockin on Heaven's Door is such a relaxed, but great song. It sounds like a song that comes from the soul, and it almost is like accepting that your time is up. In a kind of weird way this song is my image of growing old, dying, and that feeling of almost being able to knock on Heaven’s door. In the song he’s taking off the badge, and accepting that his time of being strong is over. I feel like if my death comes from old age, then I will remember this song, because I’ll feel tired and ready for what’s next. I like the song The Times They Are a Changin because it’s a very laid back and original song. This is where my admiration for the way he used the harmonica comes in, this is mostly because it just sounds so perfect with the song. The song is slow and soft, so to have the harmonica chime in at parts just adds to that effect. This song is also very appealing because it sounds so good to me. One of the best things about this song though is the message. The message is that times will continue to change no matter what, and there is no sense in trying to stop it because it must happen.  In the song he says, “Come senators, congressmen. Please heed the call. Don't stand in the doorway. Don't block up the hall. For he that gets hurt, Will be he who has stalled. There's a battle outside. And it is ragin'. It'll soon shake your windows. And rattle your walls. For the times they are a-changin'.” I like this verse because it’s like if you try and stop the change you’ll get hurt. When he says, “There’s a battle outside. And it is ragin’. It’ll soon shake you windows, and rattle your walls…” I think the battle is supposed to symbolize change, and that the change will come for you. Then you will have no choice except to embrace the changes that lie ahead, because it’s already right in front of you. Another line is, “…don’t criticize what you don’t understand,” I think this line speaks to the fact that most people don’t fully understand the change that comes ahead, and you shouldn’t criticize it if you don’t. The overall message is that the times are changing, and you have to embrace it instead of fight it. Bob Dylan is one of my favorite artists, and I think that you will find great joy in his music too. I believe that he is and inspiring artist, and that he will continue to inspire many generations of music. Hopefully, you will see what I see in his music too.
The Times They Are a Changin
Knockin on Heaven's Door
All Along the Watchtower-performed by Jimi Hendrix

No comments:

Post a Comment